It feels like the weather is playing tricks on us at the moment.
Just as I suggest we go to the park or pop into the garden, it chucks it down.
When it’s horrible outside, I can be tempted just to pop the telly on, grab a blanket, pop the kettle on and let everyone just chill out for a few hours.
Sometimes we all need a bit of downtime, so an abysmal weather forecast can be just the excuse I need.
I know all too well how quickly cabin fever sets in.
Sitting inside watching the same old Peppa Pig on repeat can drive the adults and the kids insane. It’s not good for anyone.
So sometimes, no matter how torrential it is outside, I must admit defeat and find other ways to entertain the kids on rainy days.
Places to go on rainy days in Warwickshire
Here are my ideas of places to take the kids in Warwickshire on wet rainy days:
- Ice skating – One to try any time of year but particularly in the run up to Christmas. Try Planet Ice Coventry or Planet Ice Solihull for family-friendly sessions, or if you’re further afield, Telford Ice-Rink.
- Swimming – Escape the showers by getting even wetter! Look for family fun sessions or pools with water slides, such as The Wave Coventry and Leicester Leys Leisure Centre.
- Bowling – Great for families or keeping a group of friends busy for a while. Try Tenpin in Leamington Spa, Nuneaton Bowl or Namco Funscape in Tamworth.
- Snowdome – Another one that’s great all year round is the SnowDome in Tamworth and Snozone in Milton Keynes.
- Trampoline park – These are great fun for all of the family. Try Jump In Trampoline Parks: Warwick, Red Kangaroo in Coventry, Boost Trampoline Parks Northampton or Leicester, and Flip Out Leicester Trampoline Park in Leicester.
- Soft play centres – Although a soft play can feel like a short trip to hell on a rainy day, it’s still a firm favourite. We love The Adventure Zone in Rugby, Tigers Indoor Play Ltd in Daventry and Riverside Hub in Northampton. You can also head to Rugby Services for 2-free hours of soft play.
Activities for all interests
- Watch a show – Look for kids’ shows at Belgrade Theatre in Coventry, Bridge House Theatre & Warwick Hall and The Albany Theatre also in Cov as well as local theatres and town halls. If you are closer to Birmingham, there’s a great selection of theatres that run kids’ shows there too.
- Indoor play centre – One of our faves for role-play fun is Children’s Play Village in Warwick or Tiny Town in Nuneaton. Thinktank at Birmingham Science Museum in Birmingham also has a lot for busy minds to explore.
- FREE trips to the pet shop – Try Pets at Home for small pets and fish. They often run free workshops for kids to get up close and personal too.
- Cinema – Look for movies specifically for kids for much cheaper tickets (usually on Saturday or Sunday mornings or during school holidays). Cineworld Cinemas runs Movies for Juniors or ODEON Cinemas Odeon Kids.
- Museums – Often free entry (but do check that first), there’s lots to explore. Check out Rugby Art Gallery and Museum, Leamington Spa Art Gallery and Warwickshire Museum.
- Libraries – Libraries are not what they once were. There are loads of events from rhyme times, craft clubs, LEGO clubs, film clubs or coding workshops. Our local Warwickshire Library & Information Service in Rugby has loads going on. Look on Facebook for your local library and keep an eye on the events they hold.
Other ideas for rainy days with the kids
- Craft days – Dust off the craft box, head to Pinterest, or look at the #craftingwithkids hashtag for inspirational ideas.
- Den building – Let the kids grab the cushions and blankets off the sofa, keep old large cardboard boxes, and let their imaginations go wild!
- Family walks in Warwickshire – Not put off by a bit of rain? Pull on your wellies and waterproofs and set off conked hunting. Check out Coombe Abbey Park, Ryton Pools Country Park, Bradgate Park Trust or Warwickshire Wildlife Trust for ideas.
That should keep you busy for a while!
Comments are closed.